Robert Dizard Jr. Appointed Deputy Librarian of Congress
The Librarian of Congress, James H. Billington, has appointed Robert Dizard Jr. as the Deputy Librarian of Congress. Dizard most recently served as the Library’s Chief of Staff. His appointment was effective June 17.
The Deputy Librarian has Library-wide program and management authority to ensure that the Library’s mission is met and that its services to the Congress and the American people are effectively provided.
Dizard has served the Library of Congress for 22 years. Prior to becoming Chief of Staff, he served as Deputy Associate Librarian for Library Services from May 2004 to May 2009. From May 2000 to May 2004 he served as Staff Director and Chief Operating Officer of the U.S. Copyright Office. In both positions he was directly responsible for a wide range of program and operational matters involving two of the largest Library service units. He has also served in the Congressional Relations Office, including a year as Acting Director.
Dizard graduated from the State University of New York at Albany with a B.A. in Economics and Political Science and received a Master’s Degree in International Affairs from Columbia University. Prior to joining the Library, he served for eight years as Chief of Staff to his hometown congressman, Guy V. Molinari of New York.
comments powered by Disqus
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- Emory’s Leslie Harris says we should remember the racist roots of American colleges as we think about what went wrong at OU and other schools
- Stanford historian looks to the U.S. Postal Service to map the boom and bust of 19th-century American West
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston