UND discards Fighting Sioux nickname
The University of North Dakota dropped its contentious Fighting Sioux nickname for the third time Thursday, and officials expressed hope that the latest retirement -- fueled by this week's overwhelming statewide vote -- would finally stick.
The move became official when the state Board of Higher Education voted to get rid of the university's moniker and Indian head logo, which had sparked lawsuits and threats of NCAA sanctions.
Residents cast ballots Tuesday in numbers not seen in a primary election for more than five decades, and more than two-thirds favored putting the decades-old dispute to rest by dumping the name....
comments powered by Disqus
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?