Bob Dole thanks Armenian president for Turkish scholar’s release
“Yektan's release symbolizes a crucial step in Armenia's commitment to democracy,” Dole said. “Thank you for your encouraging leadership in this important matter.”
The positive tone of the letter dated August 17 contrasts sharply with another message which the former U.S. legislator and presidential candidate sent to Kocharian on August 2. “I urge you to investigate the actions of your government, prosecutors and police and release Yektan at once,” he said.
“Your detention of Yektan for seven weeks on any grounds would draw attention to failings in Armenia's democratic evolution. To detain him on grounds as dubious as these calls into question Armenia's commitment to democracy in the first place,” Dole warned.
It is not clear if Kocharian responded to Dole’s first letter. The Armenian leader’s press secretary could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.
comments powered by Disqus
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965
- Historians named to the 2015 class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences