Pompeii gets cash boost
The Italian government has launched a 105m euros (£87m) project to save one of the world's greatest archaeological treasures, the ancient city of Pompeii.
There has been growing concern that the site, where volcanic ash smothered a Roman city in AD79, has been neglected.
A number of structures have fully or partially collapsed, including the "House of Gladiators" which fell down 18 months ago....
comments powered by Disqus
- Columbia University Releases Eric Foner’s Civil War MOOCs. It's Free!
- Historian Geoffrey Ward tells CBS: Fox News would have ‘loved’ to show FDR with polio ‘at his most helpless’
- Eric Hobsbawm is remembered as a polyglot of a kind that's vanished
- Once again Ken Burns turns to Geoffrey Ward to write his script, this time about the Roosevelts
- Historian warns that countries go into decline when they become rigid, oppress minorities, and become weak militarily