Diane Ravitch: Another Battle in the War Against Public Schools
Diane Ravitch is a historian of education at New York University.
The “parent trigger” must be understood within the current context of vilifying public education. Today, there is a national effort to privatize public schools by turning them over to privately managed charters. This movement is financed by some of the nation’s richest foundations -- the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation and the Walton Family Foundation....
A parent trigger — a phrase that is inherently menacing — enables 51 percent of parents in any school to close the school or hand it over to private management. This is inherently a terrible idea. Why should 51 percent of people using a public service have the power to privatize it? Should 51 percent of the people in Central Park on any given day have the power to transfer it to private management? Should 51 percent of those riding a public bus have the power to privatize it?...
comments powered by Disqus
- 'Bloody Sunday' altered history of a horrified nation
- South Korean President Urges Japan to Admit Past Wrongs
- Ancient DNA challenges popular theory of Indo-European language arrival in Europe
- 15 Years On, Museum Where Slaves Landed Taking Form
- Civil Rights Landmark Bridge is Named for Reputed KKK Leader
- Nancy Cott selected as the next President-Elect of the Organization of American Historians
- Scholar calls ISIS destruction of antiquities an example of ethnic cleansing
- Historian Qingjia Edward Wang never thought he would one day write a book about chopsticks.
- Bernard Bailyn’s influence on the profession is hailed in the WSJ
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day