Norway tries to reclaim Amundsen's ship
A hearing on Thursday will decide the fate of a ship once captained by Roald Amundsen, the Norwegian explorer first to reach the south pole.
The Maud is partially sunk in Cambridge Bay in Nunavut, northern Canada.
A permit to return the ship to Norway was denied in December and Canadian officials have argued the ship is crucial to the nation's heritage.
Campaigner Jan Wanggaard is spearheading a project to overturn the decision....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian and raconteur Raychauduri dies in UK
- Group is drawing attention to the historic swath between Gettysburg and Monticello
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis