Lesson in landmarks: Ministers draw up 'must-see' list to give children a love of history Read more:
From York’s Gothic cathedral to pinnacles of Victorian engineering such as the SS Great Britain, scores of landmarks across England tell the story of the nation’s history.
But there are fears children are growing up ignorant of the role of major historical sites in ‘our island story’, despite having so many on their doorstep.
The concerns have prompted ministers to ask English Heritage to draw up a list of local sites for schoolchildren to visit which would ‘bring history alive’.
It is expected to include York Minster – northern Europe’s largest Gothic cathedral – as well as the SS Great Britain, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and the Dover Boat, the world’s oldest known seafaring vessel....
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate