Lesson in landmarks: Ministers draw up 'must-see' list to give children a love of history Read more:Breaking News
From York’s Gothic cathedral to pinnacles of Victorian engineering such as the SS Great Britain, scores of landmarks across England tell the story of the nation’s history.
But there are fears children are growing up ignorant of the role of major historical sites in ‘our island story’, despite having so many on their doorstep.
The concerns have prompted ministers to ask English Heritage to draw up a list of local sites for schoolchildren to visit which would ‘bring history alive’.
It is expected to include York Minster – northern Europe’s largest Gothic cathedral – as well as the SS Great Britain, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and the Dover Boat, the world’s oldest known seafaring vessel....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity