Defying a law against mixed race marriage
This month, HBO premieres The Loving Story, a documentary film that chronicles the lives of Richard and Mildred Loving, the plaintiffs in a 1967 Supreme Court case that challenged Virginia's ban on interracial marriage.
Richard was a white man and Mildred was a black woman. Neither of them believed themselves as civil rights icons or visionaries. They just wanted to be married and live quietly in rural Virginia, and this ordinariness makes the film so compelling.
comments powered by Disqus
- 2 conservative groups are leading the fight against the new AP standards
- The secret of successful history departments
- AHA president suggests older historians should consider making way for younger historians
- Niall Ferguson Joins Schwarzman Scholars as Distinguished Visiting Professor in China
- Francis Fukuyama is still bullish on where history is headed, but Americans should worry: republics can decay.