Mallorca Chuetas are of Jewish descent from the Inquisition, rabbi saysBreaking News
A senior Israeli rabbi has ruled that a group of residents of the Spanish island of Mallorca are of Jewish descent, reports say.
The Chuetas, of Palma de Mallorca, descended from Jewish inhabitants on the island who were forced to convert to Christianity 600 years ago.
Many can trace their heritage back to ancestors killed during the 17th Century for practicing Judaism.
A rabbi was sent to the island to look at community members' family trees.
It was found that the group of 20,000 people had remained close-knit. Many have one of 15 distinct Chueta family names.
"Since it has become clear that it is accepted among them [the Chuetas] that throughout the generations most of them married among themselves, then all those who are related to the former generations are Jews," Hareidi Rabbi Nissim Karelitz wrote, according to the Jerusalem Post.
The Chuetas - whose name comes from the Catalan word for pig - suffered extreme oppression in the Middle Ages....
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"