Hitler's drinking glasses up for saleBreaking News
The set of four goblets - emblazoned with a swastika, spread-winged eagle, and the dictator's initials, A.H., are expected to fetch up to £8,000 when they are auctioned on Tuesday.
Auctioneer Jonathan Humbert, of J.P Humber auctioneers, in Towcester, Northants, said his firm were "excited" to be selling the pieces.
He said: "There is every chance that Adolf Hitler himself sipped from these very glasses.
"The late owner's son told me that his father only dealt in the finest military collectables and it was his understanding that this glassware came from Hitler's Berlin bunker.
"It was well known that Hitler had a personal valet in his bunker, and that he dined alone most evenings, using only the finest silver and glassware.
"Certainly the quality is there - the etching is superlative and the mouth and foot of each glass is superbly gilded.
"Whilst there is no written provenance, the fact that the same vendor owned Hitler's sword means that there is every chance that Adolf Hitler himself sipped from these very vessels....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian James Harris says Russian archives show we’ve misunderstood Stalin
- The Invisible Labor of Women’s Studies
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook