Julian E. Zelizer: 'Big Tent' Already Thing of the PastRoundup: Historians' Take
According to POLITICO’s John Harris, just as former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel has departed from Washington, many of his congressional recruits from the class of 2006 — when he chaired the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee — may soon be gone as well.
Emanuel’s strategy of recruiting more Democrats from conservative “red” districts swam against the tide of history. For almost four decades, Democrats and Republicans had been sorting themselves out ideologically, so that there were fewer moderates in either caucus....
This was a big contrast from the state of the nation’s political parties throughout much of the 20th century.
Until the 1970s, Democrats were sharply divided between Southern and Northern wings — with members from Dixie being much more conservative on matters related to race relations and unionization. The GOP had been divided between Northeastern liberals and Midwestern conservatives.
In the 1950s and 1960s, according to political scientist Sarah Binder, approximately 30 percent of House and Senate members were identified as centrists....
comments powered by Disqus
John a Wilson - 10/17/2010
What Rahm and Schumer pulled off was fraud. They were tacticians charged with gaining a majority by any means possible. They promised those dumb blue dogs anything to get them in and then Pelosi ran them.
Rahm is gone for good reason. He initiated what could be the destruction of the modern democratic party and he'll fail at his mayoral run as well. Maybe he could go back to Fannie Mae for another bite of that apple.
- Some Places Are Celebrating A Different Holiday On Columbus Day
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich