John Barrett: Jeff Shesol to give Jackson Lecture at the Chautauqua InstitutionHistorians in the News
[John Q. Barrett is professor of law at St. John's University School of Law.]
On behalf of Chautauqua Institution and the Robert H. Jackson Center, I am pleased to announce that historian, presidential speechwriter and author Jeff Shesol will deliver Chautauqua Institution's sixth annual Robert H. Jackson Lecture on the Supreme Court of the United States. Jeff Shesol will give the Jackson Lecture on Wednesday, August 18, 2010, at 4:00 p.m. in Chautauqua’s Hall of Philosophy.
Jeff Shesol is author of this year’s widely acclaimed book Supreme Conflict: Franklin Roosevelt vs. The Supreme Court (W.W. Norton). Supreme Power tells, in gripping prose based on deep, new and likely definitive research, the story of the Supreme Court aggressively interpreting the Constitution during the mid-1930s to invalidate many New Deal laws, President Roosevelt responding in 1937 with his call for “Court-packing” legislation, the battles over that proposal, its ultimate defeat and, in the process, FDR’s success in bringing the Court back to the Constitution and constitutional interpretation into the modern era. Supreme Power is both vital history and a deeply contemporary book—for anyone who seeks to be engaged with public life in the United States, it is a must-read. For more information about Jeff Shesol, click here. To buy a copy of Supreme Conflict, click here.
Chautauqua Institution, a special venue of arts, education and recreation in western New York State, was a very significant part of Robert Jackson’s life, his broad and self-directed education, his public speaking training and experiences, and his thinking....
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea