Historian tapped as running mate for GOP governor candidate in South DakotaHistorians in the News
South Dakota gubernatorial candidate Gordon Howie announced today that he has asked former Sioux Falls mayoral candidate and alderman Kermit Staggers to be his running mate in his bid for governor of South Dakota on the Republican ticket.
Howie held a meeting in the Best Western Ramkota this afternoon to make the announcement; the move was announced earlier this morning in Sioux Falls.
Staggers has served in the South Dakota legislature as well as the Sioux Falls city council. He has a PhD in American History and is a professor of History and Political Science at the University of Sioux Falls. Additionally, his bio on his website states:
He also has a Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies from the Sioux Falls Seminary. In 2001 Dr. Staggers received a Fulbright Lectureship at the Diplomatic Academy of the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry and the National University Kiev-Mohyla Academy (Kiev, Ukraine) where he taught courses on American government and modern globalization. He has also taught for the University of Maryland in Spain and Germany. Dr. Staggers has served as president of the Great Plains Political Science Association and has contributed scholarly articles to journals and books.
While Staggers’ opponents have sometimes nicknamed him “Dr. No” for his opposition to many city initiatives, some might say that with all the bloat and waste in government, we need someone who can say “No” more often. Too many elected officials in all levels of government have been too quick to say “Yes” with the taxpayer’s wallets for things not essential or best handled by the private sector.
comments powered by Disqus
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- SUNY professor says Trump win at least 87 percent certain; other polls 'bunk'
- Petition Started to Include Clarence Thomas in National African American Museum
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller