Historian tapped as running mate for GOP governor candidate in South DakotaHistorians in the News
South Dakota gubernatorial candidate Gordon Howie announced today that he has asked former Sioux Falls mayoral candidate and alderman Kermit Staggers to be his running mate in his bid for governor of South Dakota on the Republican ticket.
Howie held a meeting in the Best Western Ramkota this afternoon to make the announcement; the move was announced earlier this morning in Sioux Falls.
Staggers has served in the South Dakota legislature as well as the Sioux Falls city council. He has a PhD in American History and is a professor of History and Political Science at the University of Sioux Falls. Additionally, his bio on his website states:
He also has a Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies from the Sioux Falls Seminary. In 2001 Dr. Staggers received a Fulbright Lectureship at the Diplomatic Academy of the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry and the National University Kiev-Mohyla Academy (Kiev, Ukraine) where he taught courses on American government and modern globalization. He has also taught for the University of Maryland in Spain and Germany. Dr. Staggers has served as president of the Great Plains Political Science Association and has contributed scholarly articles to journals and books.
While Staggers’ opponents have sometimes nicknamed him “Dr. No” for his opposition to many city initiatives, some might say that with all the bloat and waste in government, we need someone who can say “No” more often. Too many elected officials in all levels of government have been too quick to say “Yes” with the taxpayer’s wallets for things not essential or best handled by the private sector.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't