University of Arizona historians asks why Mexico is poorer than the U.S.Historians in the News
The contrast was stark, and when he asked why, the explanations made no sense.
Those answers – corruption, a legacy of inferior administration from the Spaniards, and even a cultural tendency toward laziness – still make no sense, he says. So he’s putting in his two cents.
Martinez, 67, is a regents professor of history at the University of Arizona, Tucson. He’s finishing his latest book, titled “Why Mexico is Poorer than the United States.” It makes the case that there is a logical, empirically measurable set of answers.
“It is greatly exaggerated that Mexico is a rich country with regard to raw materials and resources. The reality is that Mexico is one of the poorest countries in terms of land,” he said. “The difference is the United States has the best space on the planet.”
Martinez said his neighborhood in Juárez was humble, and his father was often away working illegally in the U.S., leaving his mother – who was very strong, he says – to raise five children. From his parents, he learned a work ethic that some Americans think is their unique cultural advantage.
Martinez teaches the history of Mexico and of the border. His research focuses on the political, economic and social history of the U.S.-Mexico borderlands....
comments powered by Disqus
Stuart Nixon - 5/26/2010
Two of the countries suffering the greatest destruction during World War II--Germany and Japan--are today major industrial powers, even though they have nothing approaching the land or natural resources of Mexico. So it hardly seems logical to blame Mexico's problems on inadequate or inferior space in which to farm. Clearly, something else is at play. I trust Professor Martinez will address those other issues.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- These Americans are reliving history and don’t mind repeating it
- Britain largest home is saved for the nation
- Shelter and the slums: capturing bleak Britain 50 years ago
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history