Medieval fortifications dating back to 9th century discovered at Prague CastleBreaking News
The researchers uncovered the depiction in the argillite material on the lowest part of the stonework. "This is the first find of this type in Prague," Jana Marikova-Kubkova said.
The unexpected discoveries were made in the rooms to the south of the passage from the second to the third courtyards only in the final stage of the research work, Marikova-Kubkova.
The archaeologists have been unable to clearly identify the meaning of the engraving. So far, only engravings of people, animals and birds have been found, she added.
The evidence of the 9th century Prague Castle fortifications was already found in the mid-20th century during construction works at the third courtyard, Marikova-Kubkova said.
The area was a cult centre in the 9th century, she added.
Archaeologists only found rock bedrock farther to the south from the passage. Historical sources prove that the original terrain was undulated in these places. As a result, it was levelled in the 16th century, before the existing buildings started to be constructed.
All strata with remnants of human activities were removed during the works.
It was already discovered in 1948 that a Romanesque rampart was built in the area.
In 2001-2002 a moat was found that encircled the entire Prague Castle in the 10th-11th centuries.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"