Medieval fortifications dating back to 9th century discovered at Prague CastleBreaking News
The researchers uncovered the depiction in the argillite material on the lowest part of the stonework. "This is the first find of this type in Prague," Jana Marikova-Kubkova said.
The unexpected discoveries were made in the rooms to the south of the passage from the second to the third courtyards only in the final stage of the research work, Marikova-Kubkova.
The archaeologists have been unable to clearly identify the meaning of the engraving. So far, only engravings of people, animals and birds have been found, she added.
The evidence of the 9th century Prague Castle fortifications was already found in the mid-20th century during construction works at the third courtyard, Marikova-Kubkova said.
The area was a cult centre in the 9th century, she added.
Archaeologists only found rock bedrock farther to the south from the passage. Historical sources prove that the original terrain was undulated in these places. As a result, it was levelled in the 16th century, before the existing buildings started to be constructed.
All strata with remnants of human activities were removed during the works.
It was already discovered in 1948 that a Romanesque rampart was built in the area.
In 2001-2002 a moat was found that encircled the entire Prague Castle in the 10th-11th centuries.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity