Alan Brinkley sounds off on ObamaHistorians in the News
If health care fails, it could lead to"a real unravling" of the already fragile Obama administration, Brinkley said....
Obama needs to ignore the calls of deficit hawks (he mentioned Peter Peterson by name) and forget about restraining spending until the recovery is real. FDR in 1937 listened to the fiscal conservatives in his circle and tried to balance the budget, setting off a severe new recession. Unemployment, which dropped steadily during Roosevelt's first term thanks to government spending, shot back up....
A few of Brinkley's other recommendations to Obama:
Don't get totally preoccuped with health care. Go after strong financial system reforms....
Embrace real populism....
Don't tolerate the filibuster....
"Be less like JFK and more like LBJ."...
comments powered by Disqus
- In Trump’s America, is the Supreme Court still seen as legitimate?
- The Republican Plan to Repeal Obamacare for Everybody But Alaska Might Be Unconstitutional
- Parliament Square in London Is Closer to Having First Female Statue
- Battle Over Confederate Monuments Moves to the Cemeteries
- German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast
- Yale history department now emphasizing global history in undergraduate courses
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond