Alan Brinkley sounds off on Obama
If health care fails, it could lead to"a real unravling" of the already fragile Obama administration, Brinkley said....
Obama needs to ignore the calls of deficit hawks (he mentioned Peter Peterson by name) and forget about restraining spending until the recovery is real. FDR in 1937 listened to the fiscal conservatives in his circle and tried to balance the budget, setting off a severe new recession. Unemployment, which dropped steadily during Roosevelt's first term thanks to government spending, shot back up....
A few of Brinkley's other recommendations to Obama:
Don't get totally preoccuped with health care. Go after strong financial system reforms....
Embrace real populism....
Don't tolerate the filibuster....
"Be less like JFK and more like LBJ."...
comments powered by Disqus
- WWII Atomic Bomb Project Had More Than 1,500 “Leaks”
- Neanderthal 'Art' Found In Cave Sheds Surprising New Light On Ancient Intelligence
- Midterm Election Mind-Reading: The Market Tends to Win
- Proof surfaces for affair between Queen Victoria and her male assistant
- Could humans cause another Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum?
- Pro-Israel website chides Middle East Studies professors, claiming they’re apologists for Hamas
- UCLA Economist, Known as Railroad Historian, Dies at 89
- David Rosand, an Art History Scholar Whose Heart Was in Venice, Dies at 75
- NYT interviews Rick Perlstein about his book
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards