Alan Brinkley sounds off on ObamaHistorians in the News
If health care fails, it could lead to"a real unravling" of the already fragile Obama administration, Brinkley said....
Obama needs to ignore the calls of deficit hawks (he mentioned Peter Peterson by name) and forget about restraining spending until the recovery is real. FDR in 1937 listened to the fiscal conservatives in his circle and tried to balance the budget, setting off a severe new recession. Unemployment, which dropped steadily during Roosevelt's first term thanks to government spending, shot back up....
A few of Brinkley's other recommendations to Obama:
Don't get totally preoccuped with health care. Go after strong financial system reforms....
Embrace real populism....
Don't tolerate the filibuster....
"Be less like JFK and more like LBJ."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)