Humanities, Smithsonian, Library of Congress and Park Service budgets hold steadyHistorians in the News
Lee White: How the National Park Service did Lee White: How Smithsonian did Lee White: How Library of Congress did
The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) will receive $167.5 million under the Interior, Environment and Related Agencies fiscal year (FY) 2010 appropriations bill (H.R. 2996) (H. Rept. 111-316) that was signed into law by President Obama on October 30. This represents a $12.5 million increase over the FY 2009 level of $155 million.
The Administration proposed transferring oversight responsibility for the National Capital Arts and Cultural Affairs program (NCACA) from the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts to the National Endowment for the Humanities. The Obama administration’s budget included $10 million in new funding to NEH to administer a redesigned program of competitive grants to arts, historical, and cultural institutions in the District of Columbia. However, Congress rejected this proposal and the bill retains the status quo with respect to the NCACA.
FY 10 NEH Funding by Program (FY 10 vs. FY 09 enacted)
(Amounts in thousands)
$40,370 – Federal/State partnership ($35,000) +$5,370
$17,116 – Preservation and access ($16,000) +$1,116
$15,616 – Public programs ($14,500) +$1,116
$16,866 – Research programs ($14,500) +$2,366
$15,616 – Education programs ($14,500) +$1,116
$750 – Program development ($400) +$350
$14,500 – We The People Initiative grants ($15,800) -$1,300
$4,866 – Digital Humanities Initiatives ($4,000) +$866
$125,700—Subtotal Grants————-($114,700) +$11,000
$4,800 – Treasury funds ($5,000) -$200
$9,500 – Challenge grants ($9,300) +$200
$14,300– Subtotal Matching Grants—-($14,300)
$27,500 – Administration ($26,000) +$1,500
$167,500 – TOTAL HUMANITIES ($155,000) +$12,500
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history