Tiny ancestor is T. rex blueprint (China)
They tell Science magazine that the fossil displays the same features as T. rex but in miniature.
The new species, Raptorex kriegsteini, would have weighed around 65kg; its descendants were 90 times as massive.
Scientists believe it could be the "missing link" between earlier species of dinosaur and T. rex.
The 125-million-year-old specimen suggests that T. rex's characteristic big head with enhanced jaw, relatively small forearms and huge back legs were inherited from this much smaller dinosaur, and that the body type changed little over millions of years except in size.
comments powered by Disqus
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- For G.O.P., Support for Israel Becomes New Litmus Test
- Yale’s Beinecke Library Buys Vast Collection of Lincoln Photos
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history
- Role-playing history game gets students jazzed